Pages

15 May, 2009

Reluctant to say Happy Birthday...



This is Dr. Y, one of the most adventurous, loving, generous, intelligent, warm, joyful, vivacious people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. And, I have to admit, I am ashamed to leave it at that because I fear I have done a great disservice by leaving the vast majority of this incredible being unnoted.

Our friendship started a little more than 4 years ago when I began nursing school. On May 2nd he rounded the corner at full speed, with blistering enthusiasm to head into his 90th year. I love this man so much. The enormous influence he has had on my life is not something I could describe in its totality because it reaches far beyond my words and into my heart.

This Sunday we are celebrating this enormous milestone in Dr. Y's life, but as you probably know, I will be leaving for Germany for a year on May 31st. As much as I wish it wasn't true, Dr. Y is human and in the last few months his mortality has been knocking at the door to remind us it has to end sometime. I am afraid.

Am I allowed to say that? ...
Because I want him to live forever.

I want him to keep teaching me the incredible lessons he's learned, to share the hundreds of stories and perspectives hes gained in his lifetime, to show me how much love he has for life.

I need a magic genie...I have a request.

To bad "the secret" wont work in this case. The universe cannot provide this.

Instead, I let go. I let the cycle move on. And On Sunday, I will say, "Happy Birthday" with my words, "goodbye" with my eyes, and "I will always love and think of you" with my heart.

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment