Pages

20 July, 2009

Holland vs USA

Difference:
Ok today I am changing the rules. Instead of just Germany vs USA, I might blog about (anywhere in) Europe vs USA. I wanted to share with you the difference between birth practices and expectations of the dutch vs Americans according my Holland tourguide book. I feel like if all of this is very plainly stated in a travel guide, you can pretty much count on the fact that its even more wonderful to have the experience and there are probably many more incredible options/practices for women that we arent told about.
It makes so much sense that in Europe you only see the OB when you have a complication. I guess if we practiced like this in the US they would find an excuse to say that almost every pregnancy has a complication and therefore requires an OB. They pretty much do that already. Freak you out that you would die if you didnt have a DR. Midwives are still often considered hippieish (or as one Dr. put to me, "they practice hocus pocus!") and not quite as educated, which is a far cry from the truth of what this profession has to offer.

Check out how one of the first recommendations for pregnant women is an exercise class! How wonderful that they encourage the mothers to keep strong and active. AND, check out the other info they regularly provide - breastfeeding, CPR, and infant massage! Amazingly ahead of our culture. I think its wonderful that birth at home is normal and most often done naturally. I think more women should be supported in experiencing a loving, nurturing, non-fearful, pregnancy and childbirth. How come the US has all the crazy doctors pushing for inductions/augmentations, scheduled c-sections, heavy pain meds, tests for everything, and every other little invasive intervention thats not generally necessary? Not to mention the fear they instill in women regarding the whole process. I wish that in our culture when you said childbirth people didnt immediately think, "painful", but rather, "women are strong." This seems to me the feeling in Holland.

No comments:

Post a Comment