Pages

14 June, 2010

Hungry Hungry Hippos


My latest stretch of the comfort zone...
Today is the first day I am making food for Daniel's co-workers. Kind of like catering...but not, I guess. I am cooking vegetarian foods for another guy and eventually another girl. The first two things I had to do were calculate how much I would charge them weekly, and how much extra food I would buy. I guess its challenging because Daniel's appetite is hard enough for me to figure out sometimes. Some days, I make more than enough and others that same amount is nowhere near enough. It's hard for me to get a grip on!

I am very excited to be doing this though. :) This weeks menu seemed easy to come up with though I can forsee that becoming a little more challenging as I try to keep things interesting while going through my recipes one-by-one. I am happy to be promoting vegetarianism. Both of these co-workers have been vegetarian in their lives so they are very comfortable with not eating animals.

Today I made Messy Mikes with whole wheat buns - one of Daniel's favorites. They are like sloppy joes but with tempeh instead of meat.

Messy Mikes

1 pkg Tempeh per person, crumbled (for the guys. otherwise 1/2 works for me)
2 Whole Wheat Buns/pkg tempeh

Sauce:
3/4 c natural catchup per pkg
1 T mustard
1T tamari
2 T brown sugar
1 t vinegar
1-2 T liquid smoke
fresh ground pepper
garlic
red pepper seasoning

I mix all the ingredients in the sauce together to let it marinate and then taste test. After about 10 minutes I pour it over the crumbled tempeh and warm in a saucepan. Then, spoon out onto a toasted bun! yum :)



No comments:

Post a Comment