Pages

15 July, 2009

A Very Blueberry Day

Today the weather has been gorgeous. It was super bright out, no clouds since sunrise, and very, very warm. This morning Bea & I decided it would be fun to go to one of the local plantations and pick blueberries. These are just like the ones we have at home but here they refer to them as "Heidelbeern" which differentiates them from the very tiny wild blueberries (the ones we picked a few weeks ago) which they call "Blaubeern".

Simi insisted I make more muffins with our fresh picked Heidelbeern but I chose a new recipe from http://www.closetcooking.blogspot/. It was one with half whole wheat, oats, and yogurt. I modified it to be all whole wheat, oats and soy yogurt. They turned out delicious!

We had to compromise today because Noah really didn't want muffins. He wanted Kuchen. I told Bea I didnt mind making both muffins and kuchen because I really wanted to try out this berry tart. We didnt have the right kind of fluted pan but I made it in the springform and it turned out beautifully!
BTW, I almost forgot to mention...check for the two missing Heidelbeern. I left the room for 2 minutes and while I was gone I could here the children whispering from the kitchen that, "the kuchen is finished!" I suspected I would return and find I had to replace a few berries because of wandering fingers. Sure enough!
Don't I look so funny wearing Noah's miniature smock to keep the blueberries off my white tank-top?! They all laughed at me when I was in the kitchen. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment